At La Piccola Scuola di Seattle we strive to incorporate the best techniques available for child language learning. But the lessons don't need to stop after the children are sent home. Below are five ways to support child lanuage learning at your own home:
1. When your child points at something, make sure to repeat the name in Italian.
2. Also, make sure to use a gesture when identifying items. This is particularly important for infants (as we learned in our Parent and Me classes) since they can more easily sign than verbalize early on.
3. Be playful with learning. Children learn better through play VS. simple rote memory programs.
4. Try to use the same items that your child created in his/her Italian language class with Teacher Dida.
5. Patience. Sometimes children are slow to incorporate specific words into their everyday speech, but be rest assured that they are still learning the language.